Thursday, September 22, 2005

Thu 22 September - In the boonies...

More or less on time this morning although coming into platform 13 seemed to slow us down a bit, not sure why. To avoid dispute as to my meaning, let's be clear that it was 07:29:40 when the doors opened.

Get to platform 13 at 17:55 and there's the 18:01 already sitting there - good-oh. Except that as I get a bit closer the passengers are piling out. There's some sort of announcement over the speakers but I'm too far away to hear it. The screens are blank.

Wait around a minute or two and they announce the 18:01 will depart from platform 12 - there's no train on platform 12. I spot a railway worker who seems to be checking that the platform 13 train is truly empty and nobody's hiding under the seats. I ask her what time she thinks the 18:01 will depart. She replies 18:01. I politely suggest this is a little unlikely, since the train cannot possibly pull in, disgorge its passengers get all the people around us loaded and get back out again within one minute. She declines further comment and wanders off.

I go over to platform 12 and the monitors suggest the next train to depart from there will be the 18:35 - this is not a good sign. Suddenly the blackened monitors on platform 13 spring into life and show us that this recently abandoned and thouroughly inspected train is the 18:01. People start to pile in, while I sceptically hang back. They announce that it really is the 18:01 and the other Doubting Thomases and I hop aboard. We depart about three minutes late.

There are a few drops of rain falling, perhaps this is a factor?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home