Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Tue 13 September - OK this morning...

On time this morning.

Seems a few people are not happy with yesterday's entry. Here's what I said... "The 07:14 arrives at Ripponlea late and pulls in later still after a wait alongside the tennis centre." At 07:11 the enquiry system advised the next train would be in five minutes. Sure enough it was 07:16 as the doors closed, so that was spot on. My watch is almost to the second accurate to the clocks on Flinders Street station.

I didn't time the delay at the tennis centre but I'd have guessed somewhere close to a minute, doesn't really matter. The fact is that I stepped off the train at 07:31, which is three minutes late. If Sparkdriver could get access to the CCTV footage from the station he could see himself pulling up at that time.

So tell me where I got any of that wrong.

But let's not confuse simple statements of facts, and these are facts, with any feelings I might have about all this. It doesn't ruin my day being three minutes late. I am not casting aspersions on anybody's competence by stating these facts. I am simply telling it like it is.

Yes it annoys me when trains are cancelled with no notice. But I blame the Connex administration for that. Sending an SMS alert to say that a train is cancelled after its scheduled departure time is slack - convince me otherwise. Having a train arrive at the platform at Flinders Street minutes after it was due to depart is slack - convince me otherwise. They're the issues that annoy me. So to answer Sparkdriver's question - the whingeing will stop when Connex management addresses these issues.

I checked my watch against the Flinders Street clocks again this evening. We concurred that it was 17:42:40 when the 17:38 departed with no apology for the delay. By my watch it was 17:57 when we disembarked at Ripponlea, six minutes late. Unfortunately there was no secondary source with which to check my time, so I have to leave that unverified. Since this blog is for my own purposes, I don't really give a toss what anybody else thinks anyway, I'm just stirring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Connex Whinger said...

Which aspect are you disputing, that we departed at 07:16 or that 07:16 constitutes lateness?

14 September, 2005 08:25  
Blogger Connex Whinger said...

Well I guess that's a stalemate, isn't it?

I can confidently tell you that at 07:11 the system was advising its arrival in 5 minutes. As the doors closed I looked at my watch and it was 07:16 - I recall thinking that it was bang on.

We arrived at Flinders Street at 07:31, which is three minutes late. Presumably Sparkdriver has these details recorded so should be able to confirm this.

Given that your estimate was around 30 seconds wait alongside the tennis centre, that seems to fit my version of the times pretty well.

Anyway Andy, if you're insistent that you're right and I'm insistent that I am, then I guess that's about it. I'll continue to use my watch and I'll continue to make sure it's consistent with the clocks at Flinder Street and that'll be the basis for all my times, just as it's always been.

14 September, 2005 22:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home