Friday, March 10, 2006

Fri 10 March - Back to it...

I'm not a big fan of going over to Perth at short notice. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place and there's always plenty to do. It's just that it is a fair old hike and the three hour time difference during summer is a real pain - the trip seems easier when it's planned. But there is another pleasant aspect to it - no Connex. And it's always good to be in a city where people openly praise their public transport system.

I'm late this morning, since I didn't get home until well after midnight. On the 09:11 and it's pretty much on time till we get to Richmond. We then wait for a while and eventually disembark at Flinders Street within seconds of the 5 minutes and 59 seconds limit, so we’re officially "on time".

The 18:01 is officially "on time" too, although in the real world it's about three minutes late.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the week before the Games and there are a lot of Mordialloc trains still being cancelled on the Frankston line. Now while all trains should run, I can see how Connex would pull these trains to compensate for one running more stations that have been cancelled. What I can't help but think though is that how do Connex plan on meeting such a jump in patronage, and add extra services, when it's still pulling these shorter runs to bolster the regular timetable? Even with this there are some trains running the full line that are still being cancelled as well?

Also, I'm still not sure what to expect during the Games. Arvo peak hour is probably going to be a nightmare but are spectators going to be trying to get to a lot of events at 8am in the morning? Mind you I haven't seen a Games event timetable either so what do other people reckon?

Sam

10 March, 2006 15:48  
Blogger Connex Whinger said...

I haven't seen a timetable either Sam, but I'm working on the assumption that my 07:14 will not be too bad. I'd be guessing that you'll still be right at 08:00.

I'm in Perth again Wed-Fri next week so I'll miss the first week of Games disruption. I've also got the last Friday of the Games as a leave day, so I only need to cope with four days of it.

I don't bother to read the MX, but the headline today seemed to be suggesting drivers want the rail system to fail. Can't think what that could be about?

10 March, 2006 18:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Games TTs are on the Metlink website (metlinkmelbourne.com.au)

A normal timetable to 7pm then every 20 mins until last train (which is slightly later) with a couple of random extra services that are unadvertised.

11 March, 2006 00:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The random extra services are mainly at the end of the events for the day, not peaks!

11 March, 2006 00:41  
Anonymous Harley said...

Loved reading this thank yyou

28 March, 2022 10:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home